It consists of the introduction by the mouth of a flexible tube that has a camera at one end (gastroscope) for the study of the esophagus, stomach and a small part of the small intestine (duodenum)
This test mainly helps to determine:
- The cause of abdominal pain
- The cause of high digestive bleeding
- The presence of ulcerations, inflammations, stenoses or tumors in the esophagus, stomach and duodenum
- Serves as Prevention (Medical Checkup)
What is a therapeutic gastroscopy?
It is the one in which it is necessary to carry out some type of SPECIAL PROCEDURE.
This is done through a channel of the endoscope where certain types of clips or handles are introduced that allow, for example:
- Take samples of areas with some suspicion
- Resecting polyps (polypectomy or mucosectomy)
- Facilitate the cessation of hemorrhage (APPLICATION OF ARGON PLASMA COAGULATOR = APC OR IF IS TO PUT ENDOSCOPIC CLIPS)
- Remove foreign matter that may have been ingested accidentally
- Mark Injuries (CHINESE INK APPLICATION)
- Esophageal variceal ligation
With therapeutic gastroscopy it is possible to avoid many surgical procedures. Previous patient preparation
- The patient must go fasting for 8 hours so that in the stomach there is no alimentary content that can flow back into the mouth or into the airways and that could also hamper the correct assessment.
- f the test is in the morning, the day before the patient should make a light dinner between 6 and 7 at night, after that time should not eat anything else, the day of the test should not eat breakfast, not even drink water 2 hours before. If the patient has to take any medication he can do it after the test
- If the test is in the afternoon, the patient can have breakfast before 7 am a soda or toast biscuit with coffee or tea. You should not eat any other solid food, liquid, or milk
- If the patient has to take some medicine can do it in the morning.
- It is recommended that the patient be accompanied, and not have to drive after the examination.
And after the gastroscopy?
If you have just been given local anesthetic you can re-consume food in about 30 minutes and resume your usual life after it. In case of intravenous sedation is advised not to drive vehicles or perform activities that require concentration until recovered.